Monday, October 4, 2010

The Mothing Link

Yesterday, on my way out of a building, I noticed a moth.  It was a relatively special moth, that is, special in relation to what you normally think about moths, which is this:


But this moth was different. 


He was smart.  I evaluated that he was the first moth to ever become self-aware.  This moth was making history.  There wasn't anywhere he wasn't going!  Except where he wanted to be, which was outside.


This little freakin' genius knew where the exit was, unlike his less perceptive colleagues.  The only problem was he needed a little leg-up.  And I was his only friend.


After I opened the door for my little genius friend, he seemed puzzled for a bit, despite his apparent previous yearning to leave.  Then, he did this little number:


This act of failure left me inconsolable and angry because I was so sure I had found the missing link between moths and humans.  "Maybe he needs a little work," I thought.  I imagined that spontaneous self-awareness would be a lot to take in.  I went to go check up on him.


And here he is, the missing link.  Who knows what might have been?  I guess being pseudo-intelligent in a world full of actual intelligence does a moth no good.

This piece is dedicated to Samantha Roderick, who is a totally awesome person.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the moth was in fact actually intelligent in a world full of pseudo-intelligence. I mean that has been my theory for years, less one moth of intelligence.

    Or maybe he went Marvin-the-Robot on it and once he was finally free he thought out every possible situation that could come from exiting the building, found none of them desirable, and instead bashed itself against walls and floors.

    Been there.

    Captcha: Worma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think! Critically, that is.
    In any case, Darwin: 1; Moth: Dead.

    ReplyDelete